Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lake Como: Natural Tranquility

Last Friday, I called my dad to tell him where in the world I was.
"Lake Como?  What's that?"  I had never heard of it, either.  Actually, I had heard of it, but I definitely couldn't point it out on a map, let alone tell someone which country it was in.

Lake Como is located in Lombardy, Italy.  It is the third largest lake in the entire country.  Thankfully, one of my friends on campus suggested venturing out to this location as a last resort for our travel weekend.  She explained it was only a hop, jump, and a 30 euro train ticket away.  For a random adventure with a small price to pay, I promptly nodded my head with approval. 


Turns out, Lake Como is well... how do I say this: BEAUTIFUL?  It is no wonder why big celebs, such as George Clooney and Madonna, spend big money to have villas here.  The land is comprised of clear waters, the Alpine mountain tops, and tropical/sub-tropical plants.  Bright colored buildings and elegant homes peak out from all over the mountains.  The lake itself is shaped like a "Y" and has three small towns at each point: Bellagio, Menaggio, and Verenna.  There is a ferry service to transport you between the locations around the water.   Lake Como is wealthier area in Italy; however, is entirely reasonable when traveling during the winter off season.


This is what my friends and I did - granted, it was all we could afford as college students.  But I would not have it any other way.  We booked a perfectly suitable apartment in Menaggio (with a bathroom, bedroom, living-area, and kitchen) that was located right on the lakeshore for 20 euro a night.  It was purely serene.  In fact, I believe we were the only people staying in our apartment.  The town was quiet, with few locals walking their dogs and children on bicycles.  The land was awakening, with crisp, spring air, little bits of wild life and vibrant scenery.

If ever given the opportunity to travel around Italy, I would absolutely recommend a visit to Lake Como.  It is perfect for those who appreciate nature and tranquility.  

No comments:

Post a Comment