Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Keepin' it Fresh.

Though I love CIMBA with all my heart and soul, I must admit:  I do not love CIMBA's cafeteria.  Mainly because it 1. gives zero food variety and  2. gives zero nutritional value.  Every day (and I mean every day) our lunch and dinner is comprised of the exact same thing:  hard white bread, cheap pasta, and undistinguishable meat.  However, I will say this:  I am not going hungry.  And that is always something to smile about.


But I'm in Italy!  I thought I was supposed to be swimming in fresh mozzerella, and fine homemade pasta, and bright firm grapes.  Nope, not so much.  Rather, I feel like one big fat tortellini noodle every day instead.  And I start to miss my hometown drives to the Farmer's Market to pick up the simple fruits, and veggies, and nuts, and dairies, and wheats, all all the things I love most.  But I can't access those things here, not in small town Paderno. And then I cry a little bit inside.

But Crespano del Grappa, Italy wiped away my inner tears last Sunday.  Crespano is another small town, which is only a mile from campus - however, this small town has one thing Paderno doesn't: an OUTDOOR MARKET.  A massive outdoor market.  I'm talking a mile or longer outdoor market.  And it is open every Sunday morning.  


Luckily, the weather last Sunday was absolutely gorgeous (around 60 degrees fahrenheit) so the walk was enjoyable.  I went with four other girls with a couple of missions to fulfill: Raw almonds and fresh produce.  And by golly, did I ever succeed.  It was a dream come true for any deprived veg-head.


But Crespano's Sunday market did not only fulfill my produce wishes.  It also had cheese, and fish, and meat stations - a girl in my group actually got a chicken kabob with onions and peppers - it was fantastic.  Also, it had the random selection of things people may or may not come for - large pieces of fabric, and shoes, and fashionable outfits, and other items you wouldn't so much expect...


I left the outdoor market with the freshness of tomatoes, bananas, apples, mandarines, coconut/fruit mix, raisins, and almonds - all for under 12 euro.  I feel like I'm getting every vietamin (not only CIMBA's carbs) for this week.  Thanks, Crespano - I'll see you next Sunday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment