Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Favorite Little Places

Within this last week, I have had the privilege to travel to three amazing countries: Spain, Belgium, and France.  I did what any typical world-traveler does.  I checked out the Eiffel Tower and the Mona Lisa; I visited the Sagrada Familia and walked through a Dolce and Gabanna; I went to Grand Place in Brussels and drank the notorious Belgium beer.

Don't get me wrong - I love doing the "tourist thing," I really do.  But truthfully, I often find the most joy in walking into those unfamiliar places.  Those places not included in the "Top 10 Sites to See" list.

La Boqueria market was something we happened to stumble upon in Barcelona, Spain.  Although many locals could or should be familiar of this market, it was something entirely unfamiliar to myself and friends.
In consideration to my last few entries, one thing is pretty apparent: I am an absolute foodie.  I love food.  In addition to this, I LOVE food markets  - especially in foreign countries.  Personally, I feel there is no better way to really draw yourself into a culture than walking through large shops or markets.  You get incredible interaction that is often unreachable when touring a museum or snapping photos of a famous building. 


Arriving into Brussels, Belgium, automatically gave us three cravings: chocolate, beer, and most importantly, waffles.  Our group split up for a little bit, looking for different restaurants to fulfill different cravings.  Naturally, Mike and I wanted something sweet and hardy. That's just what we got: waffles, chocolate sauce, strawberries and whipped cream.  We also ate french fries (another Belgium cuisine) and some delish tomato soup.  
But the best part about this experience (maybe the second best.. the food was unreal) was the setting.  It was woodsy, with little intricate wall paintings, hanging chandeliers, and a staircase.  We sat next to a darling, warm fire place as we indulged in our fatty-licious meals.  One of my favorite moments in Brussels.


In Paris, France, we left the Notre Dame Cathedral and walked down small streets and checked out some cool shops.  One of which was an antique jewelry shop.  It was completely legit - all the jewelry was in very good condition, ranging from the early 1900's to the late 1960's.  An older French woman informed us on all the material used and advised which pieces were best for certain occasions.  I love antiques, especially antique jewelry - so sentimental and beautiful.  We loved it so much that we had to go back the next day before leaving Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment