Friday, January 21, 2011

Hello, Paderno.

Yes, I'm in Paderno, Italy!  Finally.

But I'll tell you what, the process of getting here was not so easy.  If giving any suggestions to a first-time international traveler, I would stress two things:
1. GET SOME SLEEP.  Nothing sucks worse than surviving a 24 hour (or longer) trip on zero rest.  It leads to delusional perceptions and possessing the devastating look of a drunken streetwalker.
2.  PACK LIGHTLY.  Carrying 100 lbs. of weight on wheels/your back/your shoulders is not only embarrassing, but also a struggle to haul around. I learned this the hard way.

After forgetting my North Face backpack on the plane to Venice (I got it back eventually, no worries) and zoning in and out of a normal mind state, Mike and I eventually made our way to a new continent.  Our first European experience was in Amsterdam.  Overall, I think Amsterdam's airport can be summed up in two categories: chocolate and perfume.  This works for me, being a huge fan of both things.  In fact, I could totally go for the fist-sized blocks of dark, white, and milk chocolate I saw in Amsterdam.  
 But chocolate and perfume can only excite me for so long - eventually, my sleepless night kicks in again, and I can only think of getting to my final destination.  The overlay in Amsterdam began to drag.

And so did the flight to Venice (I can't say I remember any of that plane ride).  Nonetheless, we finally got to Italy - now it was just matter of getting to Paderno del Grappa.  This required walking to several bus and train stations throughout Venice.
Need I remind you again: PACK LIGHTLY.  Unlike America, Italians have little ease in transporting between ground levels.  In other words, Americans are lazy; Italians take the stairs.  And stairs + hauling 5 bags = never again.  Thanks to Mike - and some other super friendly Italian men - we got my bag business taken care of.  And eventually, after the longest rides of my life, we made it to Paderno.

For those unfamiliar, Paderno del Grappa is a small town of 2,000 people, located about 45 miles north of Venice.  However, the small population does not decline the unbeatable atmosphere.  Truly, words do not give justice to this town.  It is the most serene, beautiful place I have ever witnessed in my life:  the campus is bright and lively, but is softened by woodsy greens and high top mountains.  I could not imagine a more wonderful home base for CIMBA (a study abroad program through the University of Iowa).  230 American college students share this area with local Italian students (ranging grades K-12) as it is their private school they attend regularly throughout the year.  It is rewarding to directly interact with the Italian culture on a day-to-day basis. 

But you may wonder, "What's there to do in another small town?"  If you're anything like me, you like to try new things.  And fortunately, this town happens to have great Italian businesses conveniently located around campus - in which, a perfect accommodation for my need of exploration.  There are a couple tabacchis (typically Italian tobacco huts, but they have other goods as well), local pizzerias, clothing shops, bakeries, sandwich markets, and much more.  They also have other activities, from olive picking with the locals to hand-gliding in the mountains.

Overall, life right now... well, it's more than good.


In the mean time, I actually have some studies/readings I need to catch up on.  I am, after all, attending class!  I will leave you with a couple of pictures, but only a couple, because the internet is sort of rusty around here.  Ciao!

Deep, pure espresso.
At a local pizzeria with my roommate, Jolie.



No comments:

Post a Comment