Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Monday's Class: Interviews.

"Start paying someone for what they love, and it becomes work."
My Psychology teacher told me this last semester.  For some, this statement makes sense - for others, not so much.  What she meant, was that sometimes an individual loses joy in what he or she likes, or even loves, when authority forces that interest upon that person.  This shines true for many:  future lawyers may cringe at taking the LSATS; future psychologists might dislike memorizing aged theories; future teachers may procrastinate their volunteer work; and so on.  But really, it's not that the person dislikes this work - they dislike that someone is saying, "This is what you have to do, by this time, with these results."

As a journalism major, I am, too, sometimes faced with the same issue, being forced to write/rewrite/edit papers I have little interest in.  But recently, there came a light at the end of an academic tunnel.  I lucked out in one of my abroad courses - a Travel Writing course - where I get to blog about my experiences of traveling and interacting with the Italian culture.  And, because I already have a blog, the coursework couldn't be more fitting (or fun, for that matter).
But the coolest thing about this course: American students are mixed with English-speaking-Italian students.  Need I say more?

Yesterday, we paired up (one American to one Italian) to discuss our impressions of the two different cultures.  My first original thought was, "Oh great - here come the 'fast-food-overweight-American' stereotypes".  Then again, I suppose they were thinking, "Oh great - here come the 'wine-loving-Italian' stereotypes".  However, my questions were slightly different.  And so were theirs.

"What are those things?"  Michele, a 16-year-old boy here, used hand gestures to ask me what "cut-off-pants" are.  "You mean shorts?" I asked, puzzled.  "Yes.  It's very confusing to me.  I see people wearing those, but it's cold outside!"
It's funny -  Northern Italy days in January are around 40 degrees fahrenheit.  Very chilly to Italians, yet, almost paradise to the brutal Midwest winters Iowan's are used to.  However, I am not so sure shorts can be justified when breath is still visible outside.
"It's crazy," Michele continued, "no Italians wear those."
On the clothing topic, I figured I could contribute what I know of Italian fashion: Diesel jeans, the designer jeans that originate in Italy.  I happened to get my boyfriend a pair for Christmas this year - they're a pretty solid pair of denim, if you ask me.  Michele was impressed and agreed with my purchase.

But I'm not so sure if Melania, a sweet girl I spoke to, would agree.  She explained how she did not enjoy the fashion scene here; how people often judge if someone is not always looking their best.
"I can always spot Americans at school, because they they wear different things," she explained.  We went on to talk about the lounge-wear; the sweatpants; the "role-out-of-bed" kind of look Americans rock daily. "But that's why I love Americans," she said.

And I love Italians.  Even though I've almost been hit multiple times by their soaring vehicles.  I've noticed these people are typically quite patient; however, they seem to be little speed-demons in their cars.  I truly believe pedestrian walkways are mere embellishments for their pavement.
"There are speed-limits," Stefano laughed at me, "but they are not enforced. Cops don't really care if someone is going really fast around here."

Lawfully, Italians are not allowed to drive until they reach 18 years.  Alcohol, on the other hand, is quite different than the 2l law in America - but I'm sure you were already aware of that.  Kids are legal to buy liquor at age 16 in Italy.  I've certainly taken advantage of this (shhh), getting a glass of Cabernet in nearly every restaurant I sit down in.  Interestingly enough, three of the four kids did not agree with my wine-liking.

Andrea, another 16-year-old boy, was one of the three.  Also, I was surprised how breakfast is not a huge thing with Italians; it happens to be my favorite meal of the day.  Andrea did tell me some of his favorites though:
"I love pizza.  In the summer, I will order pizza with light toppings, like vegetables," he continued, "but in the winter, I will order pizza with french fries on top."
First, I will say one thing: It's pretty cool a 16-year-old boy would even think to coordinate seasons with pizza-toppings.  Secondly, did he say french fries on top of pizza?  Apparently the combination is quite popular in Italy.  Personally, I love Italian pizza - especially with fresh mozzarella, vegetables, and the thin crust (it is always very thin).  I was curious if Andrea had tried American pizza.
"I have, I don't like it," he explained that American pizza was too thick for his liking.  I forgot to give him a high-five for that comment.


And without realizing it, my class was out of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment