Saturday, January 1, 2011

Just a Small Town Girl

At times, I wish I lived in an exciting, ritzy area with unlimited activities to consume my time.  But I don't.  For the majority of my life, I have lived in Sioux City - a town in Iowa of 80,000 people - where going to a movie creates an eventful, fun-packed day.  Growing up, I found the constricted entertainment frustrating and my boredom consistently lingered.  I couldn't wait to move away, go off to college, and enter a new world of excitement.

That is my current standing point: college.  I am a sophomore at the University of Iowa, studying in the School of Journalism.  And, although the population of Iowa City falls behind that of Sioux City's, it still has "hip" elements to make a great college town.  It's quaint with small, trendy businesses surrounded by brick pathways.  It's mostly foot-traffic - I love the pedestrian feel.  And the food, oh my god the food.  I adore the signature sushi rolls at Takanami, and the fresh falafel at Oasis, and the organic produce at The Pioneer Food Coop.  I've been to great poetry readings and amazing concerts (Iron and Wine - go see them) in Iowa City.  I've met fabulous people - the kids in the dorms, the girls in my sorority, and my incredible boyfriend, Mike.  All of which give me great sparks of happiness.

And for holidays,  I come back home to my town.  My town of 80,000 people with a small mall, a movie theatre, and a couple of HyVee grocery stores.  And it's here where I realize why I love life so much.  Not because of Sioux City itself, but because of what it has made me.  To appreciate simplicity.  I love going through every lane at the grocery store, and driving my vehicle through the car wash, and cooking home made meals for my family and friends.  I love old buildings with the paint chipping off the walls and listening to my dad's stories about college.  I love doing my nails with my sister and eating up time with crafty tasks.  In fact, creating this blog has been a treat within itself.  My intentional purpose is to record my upcoming semester living in Europe (yay!) in just a couple short weeks - but I thought I'd give it an early start.  And what better time to start than January 1, 2011?  A new year, a new blog.  Makes sense.

In the mean time, I will continue to enjoy the small things given to me.  Because larger things - European things -  are awaiting in my path. 







No comments:

Post a Comment